The other night I was craving some Indian food and since my neighborhood lacks any Indian restaurants that are reasonably priced and good, I ventured into the Tenderloin to get some take out at Pakwan. They also have a location in the Mission, but the Tenderloin one is slightly closer for me.
Anyway, I got my lamb biryani and naan and drove away. As I was cruising west down Ellis Street, between Hyde and Larkin, all of a sudden I notice out of the side of my eye a man sprinting out into the street seemingly headed right for my car. I didn't quite know what to do. Obviously, I didn't want to hit this man, but it seemed more likely that he would hit me first. So, just as I ease on the brakes, he slams into the side of my car near the trunk and goes tumbling down into the street. I immediately came to a stop only to see (in my rear view mirror) the man running away. At this point I notice a SFPD squad car roll up and two officers jump out. They both stop the man and back him up against a wall on the sidewalk. I'm now thinking "oh no, what if this man is seriously hurt after I hit him with my car." But at the same time, it was hardly my fault - I mean the man came out of nowhere and there was nothing I could do. So, I put my four way flashers on, got out of my car, and started walking towards the policewoman who is surveying the area while her partner puts handcuffs on the man. I asked if the man was ok and claim that there was nothing I could do - that he had come out of nowhere. The officer assures me that they saw everything, that he ran into me, that I have nothing to worry about, it wasn't my fault, and that he is "clearly on something." This was my first run in with the SFPD and the officer was surprisingly nice. Nevertheless, she takes down my name, address, and phone number in case they need to contact me, but again assures me that I have nothing to worry about. As I walked back to the car, I heard the officer ask the man "What are you on?" I can only hope that the man is ok. He obviously has enough problems to worry about other than a painful injury.
But, while I drove away a little relieved, I was also saddened by how bad things are in this neighborhood. It is a scary part of town to drive through, let alone walk through. You can't pass through without witnessing a drug deal or a prostitute. Homeless people are everywhere and the area is so dirty. It breaks my heart to see such brokenness and pain. And I wonder what, if anything, I can do. And while the Tenderloin is the worst area, I read recently that SF has more homeless people per capita than any city in the US. This city needs help in a big way and I am going to be looking for way to do my part to meet some of those needs.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
that's a wild story, Nerm! i was on a family vacation and a dog ran into our car, that was stressful enough. it's so easy to try to insulate yourself from the tenderloin instead of jumping in and trying to be part of the solution. proud of you nerm. i'm trying to do the same here in seattle.
hey i know that guy. he was on pcp and came into our er the other night. after jumping around on the stretcher and yelling "WHERE MY BRO WESLEY AT?" multiple times we tackled him, cuffed him with leather restraints, and gave him some "sleepy juice" (aka ativan and haldol) and sent him to a happy place (the psych ward)...i'm sure he'll come back tomorrow night. i'll tell him you said hi.
Post a Comment