Thursday, September 25, 2008

Today in the world of Science


Tomorrow's issue of the journal Science contains two highlights for me. The first is the results of the 2008 Science and Engineering Visualization Contest. This contest is co-sponsored by Science Magazine and the National Science Foundation. I have entered this contest three times and was a Finalist one year and a Semi-finalist the next. Alas, my entry this year did not get any awards, but when I look at this year's winners, I can see why. There are some very cool visualizations of fascinating science concepts and I am continually inspired by the way people are able to communicate abstract science concepts in a very visually appealing way.

The second is a discovery of some very old (4.28 billion years!) rocks in northern Quebec. There is some debate as to whether these are just younger sedimentary rocks made up of older material. But, either way it is an interesting picture into our Earth's history and tells us more about the conditions on Earth shortly after it was formed about 4.5 billion years ago. I haven't been able to read the full paper (I don't have a subscription to Science), but there is an article about it in the NY Times (I'm always excited when geology news makes the national papers!). You'll be able to read the abstract of the article on Science's website tomorrow.

1 comment:

jonathan said...

ah... i've been waiting for another good science reference. bravo! sorry to hear your entry didn't get an award... i guess they didn't dig the 20 foot sand sculpture you made of your head. bummer.

you'll be excited to know that sara and I found out one of our neighbors has a geology degree. we're very excited as you know what they say about geologists... they're the coolest, sexiest people around.