Sometimes it feels like I am the only person interested in the presidential campaigns' thoughts and plans for science, science funding, and science education. But, in the interest getting some more people informed prior to the election, I'll share some of the resources I have come across in recent weeks.
Just today, the New York Times Science blogger, Andrew Revkin, addressed the topic in his Dot Earth blog. He includes links to letters written to both Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama by 178 organizations advocating for science funding, science education and competitiveness, and establishing a cabinet level science adviser. Also from Revkin: the candidates on climate change and energy security, American innovation and competiveness, and food and energy research gaps.
These same 178 organizations solicited the campaigns for their answers to the 14 most pressing science questions facing America. The Sciencedebate 2008 website contains the answers to those questions from both campaigns.
I also found the article written by Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food, The Omnivore's Dilemma) about what the next president should do about farming and food production to be very interesting and worth a read.
Here's hoping you spend at least a little time reading about science and if you haven't already voted, taking this issue into consideration as you make your decision.
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hey Matty,
Good for you sharing this info with us. I read the article by Pollan and it was great! Let's hope the next president reads it.
love, mom
Post a Comment