While not completely unexpected, I was saddened today by the retirement of Michael Strahan. After 15 seasons in the NFL, all with the Giants, he has amassed the fifth most sacks in NFL history, including the single season record of 22 and 1/2. But more than that, he was the emotional leader of the Giants through good years (especially this past season) and bad years. He goes out on top after leading the Giants to a huge upset victory of the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII (I still get excited just thinking about that game!!). I'm really going to miss that gap toothed smile and the joy of seeing Strahan rush the quarterback, knock the ball loose, or get a monster sack. Luckily, we still have Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck to continue to spread fear in the minds of quarterbacks around the league.


No comments:
Post a Comment