Feeling the need to get out of the city for a while and get some much needed exercise, I decided to head up to Point Reyes National Seashore on Saturday for a hike. I decided to do an 8 mile hike from the Palomarin Trailhead to Alamere Falls. I have consistently heard that the coast north of the city is really beautiful. The falls are actually a series of falls culminating in a 50 foot drop down right onto the beach. The trail to the falls winds along the coast with spectacular views back south towards SF and north towards Point Reyes. There is also an inland section that cuts through some forested areas and goes past several little ponds that look like some good swimming holes.
I sat on the beach for a while, enjoying the scenery, the peace and quiet and the isolation. It's hard to believe that I was only about an hour from one of the biggest cities in the US. I have found that to be one of the best things about SF. It's a big city with lots to offer within, but it is really easy to go a short distance and feel like you've left it completely behind. I felt this same way when I visited Muir Woods a few weeks back.
Driving back south down the 101, you enter this short tunnel and as you exit, you can immediately see the huge red towers of the Golden Gate Bridge and then almost as if by surprise, the entire expanse of San Francisco appears to your felt. It is a breathtaking vista and made me feel so blessed to live in such a beautiful city. With the possible exception of Sydney (which I have had the pleasure of visiting twice), SF is the most naturally beautiful city that I have ever visited.


No comments:
Post a Comment