I'm not generally one to shamelessly promote my own work, but prior to coming out West I was doing independent education consulting work and educational multimedia production. There are two big pieces of work that I just have to mention.I just finished a big interactive online game for elementary school students that was based on a cartoon character that I had helped to develop back when I was in DC working for JOI. Check out the interactive game and let Bubba give you a tour of the JOIDES Resolution, a scientific ocean drilling vessel. I loved creating this project and getting to flex my creative muscles at the same time as teaching little kids about science. Plus, I enlisted top help for the voice of Bubba - my brother!
More very exciting news about my past contract work - Last summer and fall I worked with a teacher from Colorado to create a website and poster that documented an oceanographic expedition to the Indian Ocean. Rory Wilson, a middle school science teacher, participated in the Sea90E expedition and had an interactive website to connect with students all over the world while he was out at sea for 2 months. After he returned, we created an educational poster to highlight the scientific discoveries of the expedition, complete with classroom activities on the back.
Here's the super cool part - the Sea90E website and poster have been nominated as a finalist for the Association of Educational Publishers Distinguished Achievement Awards in the Science Teaching Resources - Posters category. I'm told that just being a finalist is a big deal, and it seem like it is considering most of the other finalists are the huge textbook companies and other organizations that do these types of things all the time. There is an academy awards style banquet in June in DC where they present the awards. I probably won't be able to go, but it sure will be exciting if we win.
Check out these two educational resources and let me know what you think...


1 comment:
I took Bubba's tour and got all the questions right! I guess I've learned some geology over the years! I even printed out my certificate to "Bubba's Mom".
Dad and I were really impressed with your work. As dad said, "I would have hired him too"!
Post a Comment