Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Omnivore's Dilemma

I have recently been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, a journalism professor at Berkeley and a contributing writer to the New York Times Magazine. I have found this book extremely interesting and also quite alarming. The book outlines the natural history of three meals that outline three ways that food reaches our table (or lap in our car). The first is the story of industrialized corn, which unbeknown to most American's, is included in most of the foods we eat, albeit in different forms. The second traces pastoral grass as the basis of a food system that eventually leads to "beyond organic" foods. I'm very impressed with Joel Salatin and Polyface Farm, the main subject of this second section of the book - I wish I could get all my food from him. (I'm currently searching for the equivalent in Northern CA.) The third is the most basic - the original hunting and gathering system that predated agriculture. I've only made it halfway through the second story, but I seriously think that this book is going to change the way I eat. I went to Trader Joe's last night and it was the most confusing, scary, and overwhelming shopping experience of my life. God only knows what it will be like to walk into Safeway again. I nearly lost trust in the "organic" food on the shelves and found myself looking closer at labels and being extraordinarily conscious of what I was putting in my basket.

I just hope eating doesn't become this scary experience, because I really love food. Be forewarned, but I do encourage you to read this book. As Pollan says, we really should have some knowledge of where our food is really coming from, rather than just saying "the grocery store".

I hope my dietician sister loves this post.

2 comments:

rnp said...

I'd like to read that book too, but good thoughts. I was just reading about how to decide which organic produce to buy based on pesticide levels and which conventional produce is just as good. It is almost impossible to be a completely informed consumer these days, but I would also recommend reading What to Eat by Marion Nestle. She's a Nutrition Professor and researcher at NYU and has a very easy-to-read, down-to-earth style with practice info for choosing the best foods.

Hope San Fran is treating you well Matty!

sara shiu said...

i'm a big michael pollan fan. the botany of desire made me look at tulips and potatoes in a whole different way. i love food too, and this one has been on my "to read" list. thanks for the review.

and glad to see than sf is a good fit for you, nerm. we can't wait to visit. henry sends his kisses!