Monday, April 14, 2008

Earthquakes

When you move to California, you have to expect that you will face the threat of earthquakes. This may sound crazy, but experiencing an earthquake is one of the things that I am most excited about with my move out West. Granted, I don't want anyone to get hurt in the earthquake, but I do want to feel what it is like to have the ground shaking underneath me. As a geologist, this display of earth's unpredictable power is just really cool.

However, this story in today's New York Times is not quite what I am looking for. Luckily, as least for us Northern Californians, the risk seems greater in Southern California. Either way, let's all hope scientists can continue to make strides in being able to better predict where and when powerful earthquakes will occur.

2 comments:

Grace said...

I've been meaning to leave a comment since the first day you launched this blog but never got around to it. But now I have caught up with all your entries (it helps that they are short and manageable ;-) ) but the most important thing I need to share with you/your audience is that the first time I visited your blog I was ecstatic to find out that you added my website to your links!!!! What an honor. You know I'm crazy about these things.

Oh yeah, and YAY ROCKS!

Carpenter Family said...

Good luck with the earthquake. I hope it is a monster!

I have the same excitement about a major hurricane hitting DC. The only difference between you and I is that I want a hurricane that is big enough to do real damage and inevitably impact people's lives. Is this bad?