One of the first orders of business upon arrival here in SF has been to find an apartment. Right now I'm staying in an extended stay hotel, which is nice for now, but not exactly a long term kind of place. So, I'm looking for an apartment to move into as soon as possible. From what I have heard, finding an apartment here is not super easy and take a lot of initiative, patience, and a bit of aggression. I spent the afternoon getting shuttled around by Milton, a relocation agent, who had found about 8 places for me to look at. Milton has lived in SF for 20 years (he's also originally from the VA Beach area!), and has been helping new renters for 15. So, he had loads of info for me as I started this search with quite an overwhelming feeling. We were able to look at about 8 places over 4 hours. There were a few duds - two places we went to didn't have anyone showing the apartment, so we weren't even able to see them. This was probably because they had already been taken. If I learned one thing today, it is that you have to act fast and be prepared.
Anyway, in the end, there were 5 apartments that I have applied for and that I think I would be happy living in. Here they are, listed in order of preference:
This one had close to 20 people at the open house, so the competition is stiff. Milton thinks I have a good shot.
The Pierce St. neighborhood is amazing and the apartment has a sweet layout. Definitely a great place, just a little more expensive.
Nice apartment with some great bay windows and again a great location.
Same building as above, just smaller and with the kitchen and living room combined.
Huge apartment on top floor with amazing views (including the Golden Gate bridge!) and enormous closets, but pricey.
Check them out and let me know which one you think I should take. Of course, they have to actually offer me the apartment first, but hopefully I'll get my pick.
I'll keep you posted on the search...


1 comment:
Hey Nerm! We liked the first place - we've been keeping an eye on the SF rental market thinking we might have ended up there, sounds like you are handling the mayhem swimmingly. I also appreciated the Google Map Track. Stop eating Whoppers and check out the farmers market over by the ferry terminal, and get hooked on Bluebottle coffee. Welcome to SF! (not that we're here to welcome you or anything)
Post a Comment