Thursday, April 24, 2008

A busy past week...

I feel that I have already violated the blogger code of ethics by not keeping my blog at least slightly fresh. It has been about ten days since I last posted, so I'm sorry. My excuse is that I have been crazybusy. I have found an apartment in the Marina district of SF, survived the first 3 weeks of work (my boss has been traveling and I have been immediately responsible for three big projects), got a temporary parking permit, moved all my stuff from a storage container in Oakland into the apartment (thanks to Christina for the help!), got new CA car insurance (surprisingly way more expensive than Boston, by the way), visited the DMV to get a license and registration (kudos to the CA DMV appointment system), got a smog check for my car, bought a new dresser, and finally went to Trader Joes and Safeway (please visit this link - but don't read into my intentions in shopping there) to stock up on food. I've done all of that since Saturday morning. Whew... Next up is buying a mattress (i've been sleeping (if you want to call it that) on an air mattress), finding some more furniture/appliances (coffee table, dining chairs, tv stand, microwave, area rugs), and unpacking.

One additional note about the visit to the DMV - In California you have to pass a written test to transfer a license from another state and I was a bit nervous about this. Surprisingly, I passed with flying colors, only missing 2 out of 36. Apparently, a pedestrian always has the right of way, even if there isn't a crosswalk at an intersection, so I am going to take that as permission to jaywalk as much as possible. A visit to the DMV is always entertaining, but by far the most entertaining part of my visit was a sign posted in front of the lady who grades your test. The sign warned that verbal abuse is punishable by law and may lead to suspension of license. The lady grading the tests must have been 70 years old with completely white hair, had those glasses attached to the chain around her neck, and looked both as nice as can be and that she had been doing this for decades. So, the thought of someone just reaming her out for failing them is abhorrent and deeply comical at the same time.

Despite the fact that I have been running around this city like a crazy man trying to get all this stuff done, my only frustration is that I haven't really had the chance to start my life here. That may sound strange, but I guess what I mean is I have been wanting to start that whole process of meeting people, finding friends, and feeling like I am a part of the city. It was a blessing to be able to go to church on Sunday morning. I had been looking forward to attending City Church of San Francisco, which I have attended twice before. I am fairly confident that this will become my church home, and my visit on Sunday all but confirmed that. It seemed like just the church I am looking for - great pastor with great teaching, a diverse group of people that I think I can relate to, and a solid community group structure. So, I am excited to be able to share more news with you about that church and how I plan to get involved in the coming months.

Hope this post makes up for my week of silence. I promise my next post will come sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Grace said...

YAY that was a fun post to read. Is Safeway a new chain for you? I grew up with it and the main thing that comes to mind is my horrible first date experience there (did I ever tell you this story? If not I will.)--in a nutshell I was on a double date with this guy I couldn't even stand to begin with, and we pull up in the parking lot and he goes, "Ok I've got two $5 bills and the goal of the game is that each couple gets $5 and that is our dinner for tonight!"

ANYWAY, glad to hear that things are picking up and will pray that you get to start your fabulous SF life soon!